Saturday 22 June 2013

Falling in love with flowers

Last year, my gardening motto at the start of the season  was very much
 if I can't eat I don't want it.
We all make mistakes.
Over the growing season, it was great to have so much green but I missed colour.
I did have huge success with cosmos, rudbeckia goldstrum and a daisy type perennial but the overwhelming colour in the garden was green.
 
This year, flowers no longer rate second billing but are starring side by side with the edibles, mostly.
I still have to work on my planning, I am a work in progress as a gardener.
 
There are always bees to be found in the garden now, and I'm glad. To me that means I'm getting it at least quite a bit right.
 
 

Bargain bulbs from Wilkos, an unreliable permanent marker means I don't know the name.
 
 
Calendula "fruit twist"
  
The "bed" bed which is a mix of flowers, herbs, strawberries and garlic.
 
I was chatting to my neighbour over the fence this morning and neither of us have seen any ladybirds in our gardens this year, hers is a real cottage style garden so it isn't like there isn't loads to tempt all sorts of bugs.
It's a bit of a worry really. Maybe they are delayed because of the late spring.
I hope they start arriving soon.
 
 
I bought this lovely bug house from Aldi, I'd been wanting one for an age so to finally find one that was low cost enough not to make Dave raise an eyebrow was good.

x


4 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you changed your mind as flowers are important in any garden, and there should always room for some even if you grow mostly edibles. Don't grow too many varieties, and make sure that they're bee and butterfly friendly.
    I've seen few ladybirds so far and think that's due to the cold spring.
    I like the bug house which I'm sure will soon be used by various insects.
    Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice Mike. It is hard to limit what you grow when it's a small space but yes, bee and butterfly friendly plants are something I do try to look for. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My veg/fruit garden is mixed with flowers. I have tried hard to concentrate on wildlife friendly ones. This year (touch wood) the garden seems pretty much pest free.Well done with your bug box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the longer you garden the more you understand there is a balance that we shouldn't upset. Thanks for the comments. X

    ReplyDelete